Is dermaroller an effective beauty tool in treating stretch marks?
Learn and see dermaroller before and after stretch mark results as you finish reading this article. We will provide you with all the information you need if you want to know more about dermarolling.
Stretch marks are visible streaks or stripes, or rippled marks on the skin, commonly found on the abdomen due to over stretching of skin during pregnancy, puberty or obesity.
These grooves and pesky lines are not harmful; however, the sight of it is unpleasant. They can occur in different parts of the body such as stomach, thighs, hips, breast, in the upper arms, or lower back.
Anyone can develop stretch marks. At one point in your life, you might have experienced weight gain or weight loss, and the hormonal changes happening during your puberty stage contributed to the development of your stretch marks.
The rapid growth can cause the skin to stretch and leave these unwanted marks. But the most common of all is the result of pregnancy to a woman’s skin. The intense growth and stretching of the tummy causes this scarring to happen. Scratching the skin can also lead to stretch marks.
There are two medical conditions that cause stretch marks to form- Marfan syndrome and Cushing's syndrome. Marfan syndrome is a genetic condition affecting the connective tissues that leads to the loss of skin’s elasticity. Cushing syndrome on the other hand is a condition leading to a rapid increase of weight gain and skin becomes very fragile. The prolonged use of creams and lotions with the main ingredient called corticosteroid decreases the level of collagen in the skin, causing it to lose elasticity and firmness and can lead to stretch marks.
Stretch marks cannot be quickly treated. Though the color may fade over time, the stretch still remains on the skin. There are simple home remedies to expensive medical treatments that you can avail to reduce the ugly appearance of the stretch marks and to make the scar tissue look softer and less visible.
There are topical applications that you can buy over the counter to moisturize and stimulate collagen production to improve skin’s texture and elasticity. You can also avail of the laser treatments like Fractional CO2 Laser Therapy, Pulsed Dye Laser Therapy, or Microdermabrasion. These treatments are expensive and require several sessions before you see great results.
Another popular treatment you can try is Dermarolling or Microneedling. It uses a device called a Dermaroller –a wheeler type roller full of microneedles (hundreds or thousands of them). This is a safe home treatment that works for the reduction of stretch marks.
Stretch marks can cause embarrassment and affect self-esteem for some people, while it won’t matter to some.
But in some occasions when you need to flaunt your skin by wearing those sexy gowns or you need to go to the beach with friends for summer escapade; hiding them is not always the best idea.
If you have felt this frustration before and you want to treat your stretch marks now, you need to try the dermaroller treatment at home. It is proven effective and won’t cause you to spend too much.
This is how the dermaroller works to treat stretch marks - when the microneedles are pricked onto the skin, it will create micro injuries or punctures that will call for the body’s natural healing process.
During this process, the body is stimulated to produce new collagen. Collagen is responsible for making the skin elastic and for treating scars.
With continued use of this treatment, your stretch marks will smoothen, improve its appearance, and becomes less visible. You will notice that the scar tissue of the stretch marks looks softer, flat and the dark color gradually fades.
Compared to other medical treatments, dermarolling is low-risk. You can safely do it at home provided that you use the recommended size of microneedle. If you carefully follow the recommendations and proper usage of the dermaroller, you will see that it can gradually treat your stretch marks.
Dermaroller sizes can range from 0.2mm-3.0mm microneedles. For a safe at-home treatment, the recommended size of dermaroller is 0.5mm. Using longer sizes is NOT advisable as it can create damage to your skin.
Treatment should be done at least three times a week to get visible results. Size 0.5mm is the highly recommended microneedle you can use for 3x a week and is very effective in stimulating collagen production.
Microneedle sizes of 1.5mm and above are not safe for home use and should only be administered and performed by dermatologist and trained professionals. (If you want to know more about size 0.5mm dermaroller and its uses, please refer to this article.)
Another option you can use is a Dermapen. You can use Size 1.0mm microneedles once a week because this size is very good for the treatment of deep /old scars and stubborn stretch marks.
Stretch marks may not fade quickly because the tears made on the skin are wide and a lot of collagen supplies are needed to treat it. If you want to see changes on your skin quickly, you can follow this schedule:
Monday – 0.5 mm roller
Monday – No Treatment
Tuesday – No Treatment
Tuesday- 0.5 mm derma roller
Wednesday- 0.5 mm derma roller
Wednesday – No Treatment
Thursday – No Treatment
Thursday- 0.5 mm derma roller
Friday- 0.5 mm derma roller
Friday – No Treatment
Saturday- No Treatment
Saturday- 0.5 mm derma roller
Sunday- 1.0 mm derma roller (optional)
Sunday- No Treatment
Important Note: You can reduce the usage of Size 0.5mm to 2x a week if you will use a dermapen together with your treatment.
It is easy and convenient to use a dermaroller for your stretch marks treatment. Here are the steps:
Step 1: Sanitize and clean your derma roller. You must sanitize your derma roller by soaking it for 5-10minutes using a disinfectant alcohol. Clean the handles by wiping them using a wet cloth with an alcohol.
Step 2: Choose size 0.5mm dermaroller. This is the recommended size when treating your wrinkles. Anything longer than this size will not be safe for home treatment. If you wish to use longer microneedles, please consult your dermatologist.
Step 3: Make small sections. Before you start dermarolling, divide the area into small sections of about a quarter of your palm size. It is always recommended to derma roll section by section to fully cover the desired area to be treated.
Step 4: Use the 4-direction technique. For each section, complete dermarolling in 4 different directions as shown in the diagram below. Then, derma roll up and down 4 times, followed by left and right 4 times, followed by diagonally top right to bottom left 4 times and lastly diagonally top left to bottom right 4 times. After that, you can move on to another section and do the same steps.
Step 5: Roll gently using the same pressure. When rolling the derma roller, the pressure must not be too light or too hard. Do not push deeply onto the skin. Do not drag it when you change into another direction. Pressing it too hard can make the needles bend or break and might get stuck on your skin. This will create damage and danger.
Dermaroller works by breaking up the damaged skin cells and stimulating the production of collagen. By doing this regularly, here are the benefits that you can get from this treatment:
1. Promotes skin elasticity. The continuous production of collagen will bring back the skin’s elasticity. Collagen is important to bring back the skin’s texture and shape. In time, your stretch marks will be repaired and skin becomes stronger.
2. Smoother and improved skin texture. When you use the dermaroller regularly, the dermal layers of the skin will increase in thickness. As a result, the old skin will be replaced by healthy, smooth skin and the stretch marks will gradually fade away.
3. Boosts the absorption of your skincare products. Normally, the skincare products that you apply cannot penetrate deeply into your skin. When you dermaroll, the channels created by the mirconeedles will enable the topical creams to be absorbed deeply, making it more potent and effective. Topical creams like Retin-A (tretinoin), serum, and moisturizers with cocoa butter olive and almond oil can help improve the appearance of stretch marks.
4. Convenient and no downtime required. It only takes a few minutes to finish one session in the comfort of your home at your most convenient time! You don’t even have to experience downtime because it is almost painless and no burning or peeling or severe reddening can be seen. You can come back to your usual routine a few hours after the treatment so it is recommended to do it before you go to bed.
5. Economical, yet effective. You don’t need to break the bank just to treat your stretch mark problems. Dermaroller treatment is affordable for everyone, but it is as effective as those treatments you could get from a derma clinic.
Using a serum with dermaroller makes the skin brighter and glowing naturally and treatment will be greatly enhanced.
When you combine an effective serum with your treatment, you’ll get results quickly because it speeds up the repair process. Since the derma roller boosts the absorption of skin care products, a serum is a good choice because of its vitamins-packed contents and numerous benefits.
For the treatment of your stretch marks, serums that will promote collagen synthesis with this combination is very effective: Vit C + HA + Vit E
Vitamin C- a Vitamin C serum will prevent melanin production to aid in fading hyperpigmentation, acne spots and scars, sunspots or age spots. It evens out your skin tone, makes your skin looking brighter and glowing. The purplish or black color of your stretch marks will slowly fade.
Hyaluronic Acid - Hyaluronic Acid (HA) can attract up to 1,000 times its weight in water so your skin will be hydrated. HA is responsible for locking in moisture so your skin will not look dull and with enough hydration will keep it looking healthy and plumped.
Vitamin E- Vitamin E protects the cells from damage. It is helpful in boosting collagen to the skin and becomes a very potent antioxidant when combined with other antioxidants like Vitamin C. It will speed up cell regeneration to give your stretch marks an improved appearance .
Please bear in mind that results vary from person to person. Not everyone will have the same response on the use of the dermaroller. Results will be based on the accumulated of collagen and elastin per individual. Skin renewal that is triggered by dermarolling usually takes around 30 days to see remarkable results. If you will follow the recommended schedule above, you can see and feel these changes:
After 4 weeks- skin begins to change in texture
After 6 weeks – skin looks tighter and firmer
After 10 weeks- stretch marks starts to flatten and are no longer raised
After 12 weeks- shallow stretch marks diminished and overall appearance is improved by almost 70%
Not sure where to get a dermaroller for your stretch marks? You can trust that our Advanced Dermaroller System, REJUVISS, can make wonders to your problematic skin. It is a complete set that comes with 4 different HIGH QUALITY roller heads for the treatment of your face and body. These are the types of microneedles that you can get in one set:
With REJUVISS, you can have the Size 0.5m and the dermapen 1.0mm together. You can not only treat your stretch marks but also address other skin problems by purchasing this set. If you also suffer from these skin conditions, our dermaroller set is the best choice:
1. Take a bath. For hygienic reasons, it is best to take a bath regardless of the part you are treating. You must remove residues, dirt and anything that can cause irritation when the microneedles get in contact with your skin. Avoid scrubbing your skin or irritating it with exfoliants to avoid allergic reactions when dermarolling.
2. Pick the right dermaroller size. Aside from getting a size 0.5mm for home treatment, you can also opt to using a bigger sized dermaroller that comes with more needles such as 1200 microneedles derma roller so it can cover wider areas. You can save time with this derma roller head instead of the 540 microneedles count especially when there’s a bigger area to treat. This is very ideal for the tummy, arms, thighs, and buttocks.
3. Apply a numbing cream. This is optional. If you have a low pain tolerance, you can get a BLT cream ((Benzocaine / Lidocaine / Tetracaine) to alleviate the discomfort during treatment. A size 0.5mm is tolerable but if you feel a little sting when rolling or using the 1.0m dermapen, you can apply this cream. Read carefully the insert for dosage administration. Normally, you have to soak your skin on it for about 30min-1hour before you begin with the treatment.
4. Avoid washing the treated area right away. Allow the skin to recover after dermarolling. This is to avoid inflammation and to allow healing after creating some trauma to the skin during the pricking or rolling.
5. Always consult with a dermatologist. For any present skin condition like open wounds, active breakouts, inflammation, skin asthma, rosacea, eczema or psoriasis, and blood clotting disease- dermaroller is not recommended. If you also wish to use long microneedle sizes, always consult a dermatologist because longer sizes of needles are only for professional administration.
Tip #1: DO NOT share your dermaroller. You can get infection if you share your dermaroller. It is only for personal use. Be mindful of your skin.
Tip #2. Replace your dermaroller. Dermarollers have short lifespan and are not meant for long time use. It is recommended that you replace it after 3-4 uses because the microneedles get dull over several uses and it may not be effective if you continue using it.
Tip #3. Get a high quality derma roller. To ensure efficacy, get a quality dermaroller that are safe and reliable. Getting cheap and low quality derma rollers can produce damage and even painful experience. Their microneedles usually bend and break easily.
Tip #4. Do NOT use damaged microneedles. If you see that the microneedles have rusts or they are bended and broken, please avoid using it and throw it away immediately.
Tip #5. Keep your derma roller. Clean your dermaroller again by pouring on an alcohol, and then leave it to air dry in its original container for at least 1 hour before you close the storage container. Do not leave it on your sinks or dresser to avoid germs or bacteria from getting into the microneedles and the roller head.
If you think you need to hide your stretch marks forever, then this is the great news! Try our Dermarolling treatment guide and see your dermaroller before and after stretch marks results with a happy face! 🙂🙂🙂